So, I ran out of jam last week. This was followed by an emotional roller coaster, don’t judge me we’ve all been there. Let’s just say I had a minor panic attack [ok MAJOR panic attack], I mean how was I going to support my peanut butter and jelly habit now. Going to the store wasn’t an option at the time. What was I going to do because this girl was set on having her PB&J. Suddenly I had a light bulb moment; I had a fridge full of berries so why not make my own.
This wonderful spread took me all of 10 minutes to make start to finish. That’s not even the best part, it’s healthier than store-bought, made fresh and has less the sugar, as the sweetener is honey. Bread was immediately toasted and one terrific PB&J was consumed. Wow, why did I not think of making this sooner. I can’t wait to try different flavors or a mixed berry medley. If you hold jam in the highest of regards this homemade recipe will not disappoint. Give it a try and let us know how you like it.
- 1 cup of blackberries or berries of choice
- 1 Tbsp of Chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp of warm water
- 1 – 2 Tbsp of honey
- Start by soaking Chia seeds in 1 Tablespoon of warm water until water is absorbed and they soften.
- Excluding the honey place all the remaining ingredients into a food processor or blender and mix until blended to your desired consistency. I used an immersion blender. Note this method will not leave chunks of that is your preference.
- Add honey 1/2 tablespoon at a time mixing thoroughly until you reach your desired level of sweetness. Make sure to use no more than 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Place in a storage container. Best served chilled.